Summer Living in Claremont
Summer is hot in Claremont, but it is a cool place to be! Average temperatures in June are between 55 °F/ 13 °C and 83 °F/ 28 °C, but unlike the East Coast, Claremont enjoys a dry Mediterranean summer climate. All CMC classrooms and CMC summer housing options are air-conditioned, as are all the Claremont libraries, computer labs, and dining halls. The CMC pool at Ducey Gym will be open daily 11 am to 1 pm and throughout the evenings and weekends. Newport, Huntington, and Laguna Beaches are all less than an hour from campus and provide a cool weekend break from the Claremont Colleges.
The undergraduate Claremont campuses (CMC, Scripps, Pitzer, Harvey Mudd, and Pomona) and the Claremont Graduate University are contiguous to each other, spanning just over a mile square. "The Village" with its dozens of restaurants, shops, and nightspots, is a fifteen minute walk from CMC's campus.
Summer students are welcome to bring their cars to campus and park in CMC student spaces. For those who want to drive, but don't own a car, there are 13 zipcars available through Pomona College.
Claremont is on the San Bernardino line of Metrolink and is 54 minutes from Downtown L.A.'s Union Station, which is directly across from Olvera Street and a few blocks from China Town, Little Tokyo, and a short subway ride to Disney Hall, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, and the Ahmanson Theater, plus numerous nightspots. Sites in Hollywood, the Westside, Pasadena, and East L.A. are all easily reached on Metrolink commuter lines from Union Station.
Facilities at Claremont McKenna College
- CMC Computer Labs: space and hours TBA
- CMC Ducey Gym and Pool tentative hours:
- Pool: M - F 1:00 pm and some evenings and weekends
- Weight Room: hours TBA
- Fitness Room: 6:00 am - midnight daily
Facilities at The Claremont Campuses
- Honnold/Mudd Library and Café: Summer hours TBA (likely 10 am to 7 pm M-F and limited weekend hours)
- Denison Library, Scripps College Campus: summer hours TBA
- The Huntley Bookstore: 8:30 am – 5 pm, M-F and Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
- Office of the Chaplains
- Dining Halls at the Claremont Colleges: Hours and days TBA
- Honnold/Mudd Café: Summer hours TBA (likely 10:30 am to 6:30 pm MF and limited weekend hours)
The CMC Dean of Students staff members, including CMC Student Resident Assistants, are available during the summer to offer academic and residential support services. Although many services and full residential life programs will be limited during summer term, the Dean of Students Office will host weekly social events including barbeques, ice-cream socials, dinner and movie nights.
The CMC Center for Writing and Public Discourse will be open limited hours and staffed by the director and CMC student writing consultants to help you with all stages of writing and research.
Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services Center and Student Health Services will be closed during the summer, but on-call emergency help will be available. All summer students, whatever their status, will be required to carry personal health insurance.
Claremont, The Village, and Surrounding Areas
The Village in downtown Claremont is filled with restaurants, coffeehouses, bakeries, boutiques, the Laemmle Claremont 5, and nightlife for all tastes. The Claremont Farmers and Artisans Market is held every Sunday morning 8 am - 1 pm. In greater Claremont, there are several gourmet and specialty grocery stores in addition to the large supermarkets.
Days are warm and sunny throughout summer session and Claremont is home to numerous parks, hiking, walking, and biking routes. Hiking, outdoor, and natural science resources include:
- Johnson's Pasture at The Claremont Wildlands Conservancy
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
- The Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology
Living in Los Angeles and Surrounding Counties
- Knott's Berry Farm
- Raging Waters
- Universal Studios
- Santa Monica Pier
- Orange County Beaches
- Huntington Beach
- Long Beach Aquarium, Pier, and Queen Mary
- The Henry E. Huntington Museum and Gardens, San Marino
- The Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena
- The J. Paul Getty
- The Getty Villa (Malibu)
- The Armand Hammer
- The California Science Center
- The Natural History Museum
- The Museum of Jurassic Technology
- Staples Center
- Hollywood Clubs
- Olvares Street
- Little Tokyo
- China Town
- Ontario Mills
- Victoria Gardens
- Costa Mesa
- Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive