Washington Program


Academic Requirements and Credits

  • Open to all students of the Claremont Colleges
  • Open to second-semester sophomores, juniors, or first-semester seniors in all majors.
  • Minimum GPA required: 9.0
  • Prerequisite: Government 20 or Politics 3 (completed before the semester of application).
  • Transfer students must complete one semester at the Claremont Colleges before applying.
  • Applicants and selected interns must be free of academic or disciplinary probation.

This program grants four course credits. CMC and Pomona government students may count two courses towards the major (not including Government 30, the internship course). Government 30 meets the experiential requirement for the Leadership Sequence. CMC students majoring in Economics or International Relations may receive credit towards the major for the research paper completed in Washington. (See below.) Credit in other majors may also be possible, but this requires advance planning with and approval from the applicable department or program. In addition to Introduction to American Politics, it is highly recommended that students take an advanced American government class such as Congress or the Public Policy Process and a course in post-Civil War U.S. history. Students without a 9.0 cumulative GPA are advised to strengthen their academic record before applying.

Students will normally not have the credit/no credit option on any program courses. The program will permit this option only in extraordinary circumstances (e.g., serious illness) and only with the consent of both the course instructor and the program director.

Obtaining Credit for the Research Paper in the Major

With advance notice and planning, students can obtain Economics major credit in Washington for the research paper. Interested students must select an internship that can support an economics research paper. Examples would include the Federal Reserve, the Council of Economic Advisors, or the General Accounting Office. Students also need the approval of the department chair for permission to register in Economics 199, which must be done no later than the drop/add deadline of the semester in Washington. If approved, the Chair will assign students to a reader in the Economics department at CMC.

International Relations:
With advance notice and planning, students can obtain IR credit in Washington for the research paper (Government 127). The paper must address an appropriate international topic and students are responsible for obtaining approval for credit from the chair of the International Relations Committee. They must also select an internship that can support an IR research paper. Examples would include the State Department, international agencies that specialize in trade issues, or public interest groups that focus on human rights. The research paper will be supervised by a member of the Washington Program faculty. Government 30, the internship course, cannot count towards the major.