The CMC Financial Aid Office places certain expectations upon all Federal Work-Study supervisors. The supervisors must be willing to undertake the following responsibilities and perform the following duties:
- Supervisors are responsible for providing accurate and current job descriptions for each FWS position available in their department on the NACE/Simplicity database.
- Supervisors are responsible for keeping an accurate and complete daily account of hours worked by each student employee. These hours are to be recorded and verified on the time sheets provided online at: /hr/forms/.
- It is a violation of the State & Federal Labor Law to not pay employees in a timely manner. Therefore, it is important that timesheets are submitted on the designated dates. You may not save several time sheets beyond the pay period due date.
- If there are mistakes on a time sheet, corrections must be initialed by the supervisor. Time sheets must reflect accurate information.
- It is strongly recommended that students work no more than 20 hours per week. Never submit a time sheet with more than eight (8) hours recorded in one day or (40) hours in one week. Also, it is required that students who work more than five (5) hours take at least a half-hour break. This break is to be noted on their time sheet. In addition a student cannot work more than six (6) consecutive days.
- The time sheet must include the student's name, pay period, job title, name of department, account number, job code, date and time worked, hourly rate of pay, total hours, total amount paid, employee signature and supervisor signature.
- Time sheets are due in the FAO by NOON on the designated dates. If time sheets are turned in late, they will not be processed until the following payroll. Please do not send time sheets through campus mail.
- The FAO will not accept time sheets that are more than two (2) pay periods late. These time sheets will have to be paid 100% through your department's budget.
- If time sheets are submitted and the student is found ineligible to work, the department will be held responsible for the payroll.
- The supervisor is responsible for dealing directly with a student's work related problems. Each student must be assigned to a supervisor who would be responsible for all communications relating to the student's job.
- A supervisor who hires a Federal Work-Study student shares responsibility with the student in monitoring her/his earnings.
- It is the supervisor's responsibility to submit or instruct the student to submit the Personnel Action Form to Agnes Sanchez in the Human Resources Office at least 24 hours before the start date of employment, unless other arrangements have been made.
- Supervisors must read the Federal Work-Study Guide for Supervisors in order to understand the responsibilities and procedures regarding student employment through the Federal Work-Study Program.
CMC Admission and Financial Aid
888 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711-6425
(909) 621-8356 (Financial Aid)
(909) 607-0661 FAX