Wei-Chin Hwang, Ph.D.
In addition to being a tenured full-time professor, Dr. Hwang has a small and individualized therapy practice and consulting agency in both Pasadena and Claremont. He specializes in treating mood disorders, marital and family problems, traumas, adjustment difficulties, personal growth and development, and culture and mental health issues. He works with adults, adolescents, couples, and families. He takes an integrative cognitive-behavioral, psychodynamic, and solution-focused approach to treating clients, and conducts therapy in English, Mandarin, or Taiwanese. He also provides professional consulting on workplace mental health, conflict management, and cultural competency and effectiveness issues. http://www.losangelesclinicalpsychologist.com/
Areas of Expertise
Clinical Psychology, Cultural Competency, Psychotherapy, Race & Social Problems
Selected Research and Publications
- Hwang, W., Wood, J. J., & Fujimoto, K. (2010). Acculturative Family Distancing (AFD) and depression in Chinese American Families. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 78(5), 655-677.
- Hwang, W. (2009). The Formative Method for Adapting Psychotherapy (FMAP): A community-based developmental approach to culturally adapting therapy. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 40(4), 369-377.
- Hwang, W., Myers, H. F., Abe-Kim, J., & Ting, J. Y. (2008). A conceptual paradigm for understanding culture’s impact on mental health: The Cultural Influences on Mental Health (CIMH) Model. Clinical Psychology Review, 28, 212-228
- Hwang, W. (2006). The Psychotherapy Adaptation and Modification Framework (PAMF): Application to Asian Americans. American Psychologist, 61(7), 702-715.
- Hwang, W., & Myers, H. F. (2007). Major depression in Chinese Americans: The roles of stress and vulnerability. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 42(3), 189-197.
Selected Awards and Affiliations
- Inducted as a Fellow of the Asian American Psychological Association for unusual and outstanding contributions to Asian American Psychology (2012)
- Western Psychological Association Enrico E. Jones Award for Research in Psychotherapy and Clinical Psychology & Induction as Fellow(2010)
- Asian American Psychological Association Early Career Award for Distinguished Contributions in Scholarship, Leadership, and Dedication to Asian American Communities (2009)
- American Psychological Association Minority Fellowship Program (MFP) Early Career Award in Research for Distinguished Contributions to the Field of Racial and Ethnic Minority Psychology (2009), Psychology Summer Institute (PSI) Fellow (2006), & Minority F
- Okura Mental Health Leadership Foundation Fellow (2002)
Wei-Chin Hwang, Ph.D.
Education: Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles; M.A. University of California, Los Angeles; B.A. University of Utah
Monday, 04:00PM - 04:50PM
Wednesday, 12:20PM - 01:10PM
Phone: (909) 607-2762
Address: Seaman Hall 225
Website: Web Site
Curriculum Vitae: CV
For more information, please contact the Claremont McKenna College Public Affairs Office at (909) 621-8099