Graduate Schools, Conferences, Careers & Internships
What can you do with a Psychology degree? Below we have suggestions about how to find a career after college, what internships are available while you are in college and after, and how to apply to graduate school. We also have a listing of Undergraduate Conferences at which you can present your research.
Psychology majors have an excellent skill set that can be applied to many different careers. Below we have some materials to help you identify and articulate your skills as well as a listing of careers that use those skills:
- The CMC Psychology Faculty have designed a brochure to help you define your skill set and provide suggestions for careers with a Psychology Degree: What can I do with a BA in Psychology?
- Other ideas from Scripps College Faculty: What can I do with a major in Psychology?
- Psychology Careers Website: careersinpsychology.org
- Advising Resources in Psychology: http://teachpsych.org/otrp/resources/index.php?category=Advising
CMC Career Services Center:
- Visit CMC Career Services Center or email: email@example.com
- Career Services has many materials to help you with your resume, cover letters, interviewing skills,etc. as well as identify potential job opportunities
- Amanda Stevens is the Psychology Career Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Consulting firms that actively recruit candidates from a diverse set of majors, especially Psychology majors with critical thinking skills, research skills, statistical skills, and people skills:
- BCG (Boston Consulting Group-- talk to them at CMC's consulting night)
- Oliver Wyman
- Booz & Co.
- Analysis Group (Per Evelyn Wong – Scripps Scholar that worked at Analysis Group over the summer)
- Gallup Consulting
- CAST (talk to them at CMC's consulting night)
- Gallagher Benefit Services, Inc (per Sonia Bao -- CMC Psychology Alumna employed at this firm; they have both rising junior and post-grad summer internship programs)
For those students interested in learning more about various consulting firms, check out the Vault 50:
Yale University - Department of Psychology
Yale University, Department of Psychology is recruiting two positions. See those two positions below:
- Brain Imaging and Psychophysiological Data Analyst/Programmer
Proposed Start Date: August 1, 2014
- Research Assistant/Lab Manager
Proposed Start Date: August 1, 2014
Employment opportunities at the Section on Bipolar Spectrum Disorders (BSD)
National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, MD
BSD seeks qualified individuals to fill Research Assistant positions, with employment starting May/June 2014. BSD conducts research on the pathophysiology, treatment and prevention of childhood mental illnesses, with an emphasis on bipolar disorder and severe irritability (SMD) in children. Research assistants are involved in all aspects of the clinical research process, including analyzing data and interacting with patients.
See a detailed ad, including instructions for applying. We would greatly appreciate your help with distributing this information to qualified students. Please feel free to contact me or Lizzie Harkins (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
Take advantage of Summer Internships & Programs
- Almost all summer internships have application dates in February for the following summer
- The Psychology & Neuroscience Summer Internships brochure lists internship opportunities in Psychology and Neuroscience
Summer Internship Programs at CMC
- CMC offers several summer internships relevant to psych and neuroscience majors
- For internships and CMC sponsored internships, see the CMC Career Center and Services guide and see the CMC Career Services web site for Internship information.
- The community service internship program is one of the few, if only, internship programs available to freshman.
- The Kravis Leadership Institute has internship opportunities of particular relevance to Psychology majors.
- The Berger Institute is now accepting applications for 2013 Summer Internships.
Neuroscience fellowships, internships, and research opportunities
- The 5 C’s offer summer internships to conduct research in labs, especially those off the 5 C campus.
- Professor Borowski is the head of the Neuroscience program (firstname.lastname@example.org) and is the contact person for the Neuroscience fellowships.
- Pomona College's List of Internship/Research opportunities for Neuroscience
- University of Pennsylvania Institute for Cognitive Science Summer Workshop
- Stanford Annual Summer Institute in Political Psychology: see http://ww.stanford.edu/group/sipp/2012 for info about last year's program
Ask your professors about graduate programs and what you need to do to be well qualified for these programs.
Other Good Links from Scripps College Psychology:
- The ABC's of Ph.D.'s
- Advice on Grad School
- Quick thoughts on Getting Into Graduate School
- So You Want to be a Clinician
- Getting into Graduate School in Develomental Psychology
Check for this year’s details for submission/conference dates.
Annual Summer Institute in Political Psychology (SIPP)
Submission Deadline: mid March
Conference: mid July to beginning of August